Friday, November 2, 2012

Vidalia Onion Dip



That  pop of blue in the bowl above reminds me of one thing, Mexico. Last year we were lucky enough to spend 2 weeks in San Jose Del Cabo in March and 2 weeks in Merida, Yucatan in June.  With the weather here in Toronto so grey (still raining) I guess every little thing reminds me of how much  I want to get away - blue anything equals ocean.  I love the city.  Merida is the capital of the Yucatan and the bonus is that within 20 minutes you can be on the beach, cerveza in hand.  Progreso, Mexico.





This is the view from the restaurant we had lunch at that day.  Gorgeous.  No dipping in the ocean today.  The only dipping I'll be doing involves chips.

On to the recipe.

I've made a ton of variations of this dip. Yellow onions, vidalia onions, sour cream or plain yogurt.  Sometimes I add cream cheese.  I prefer vidalia onions since they are milder than yellow cooking onions.  I was reading about dehydrating onions in the oven prior to making dip (you can also use dehydrated onions to top bagels prior to baking).  So I decided to try the dehydration thing. I diced up half a vidalia and preheated the oven to 500 F.  Throw the onions on a pizza pan, put them in the oven and turned off the heat.  I let them sit there for about 2.5 hours.  The result - ya, a lot of the moisture was gone but I didn't really consider them onion flakes.  Maybe I should have let them sit in the oven longer.  

Anyway, I proceeded to make the dip - one thing I noticed when sauteing the onions after they'd been in the oven is that they didn't really get much colour.  They did however seem a lot milder without the onion 'bite' you normally get.  Next time I make this I will probably forgo the oven part.

Definitely addictive.

Vidalia Onion Dip


  •            2 tablespoons olive oil
  •         1/2 a vidalia onion, diced
  •          a drizzle of honey
  •         1 cup plain yogurt drained in a cheesecloth overnight
  •         1 cup sour cream (or a mix of sour cream and cream cheese at room temp)
  •         Dash chipoltle powder (or cayenne)
  •         kosher salt and pepper to taste
  •         7 grinds onion garlic grinder*
  •         squeeze of lemon (optional)
Preheat a cast iron pan on medium heat and add the oil.  Lower the heat and cook the onions with the honey for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.  Cool slightly.  Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.  If using cream cheese let it sit at room temperature for a while to soften the cheese after your remove it from the fridge.  Feel free to mix up the amounts of yogurt, cream cheese and sour cream.
*I have a grinder with dehydrated garlic and onion that I use.  You could substitute onion and garlic powders (about 1/4 tsp each).


What's your favorite chip dip - dill pickle or onion ?
     

2 comments:

  1. The dip looks amazing but I'll take the view of the malecon and ocean please. Oh and a cerveza...maybe a Bohemia Clara...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favourite chip dip? easy, dill pickle

    ReplyDelete

Share It