Saturday, October 27, 2012

Coconut Cupcakes



I don't have a sweet tooth.  Not really.  I have what you call a 'beer tooth'.  Oh yes, my dear sweet Sapporro :)  That being said I still do love to bake.  My faves, cupcakes and bread.  Baking full batches can be tough when there are two non sweet tooth people at home.  We'll eat a couple and within a few days the rest gets pitched.  This recipes yields 4 cupcakes.  Normally when I bake I save a couple for my husband and I and he brings the rest into work to share with his co-workers.  (His coworkers love my baking because I usually cut the sugar amount in the recipe a lot, even by half sometimes).  I made this batch of cupcakes when his union went on strike - he wouldn't be bringing the rest into work.  I hate throwing out food.  I'll try to pawn baked goods off on my neighbors, which they love but sometimes that doesn't happen.  Plus cupcake recipes with butter cream frosting are a huge waste to toss, butter is expensive!!





For this recipe (or any recipe using coconut) I prefer large flake unsweetened coconut.  Why?  It looks better than the shredded stuff you grab at grocery stores.  I buy mine at bulk food joints.  It looks less processed and is visually appealing when toasted.  To toast coconut just add it to a dry pan that's been 
preheated over medium heat.  Stir until it becomes fragrant and golden brown. Keep an eye on it, this happens quickly.  One of the things I changed from the original recipe was to blitz the coconut for the batter in a food processor.   I felt the texture and crumb of the cupcake was better.

Coconut Cupcakes
recipe slightly modified from Dessert for Two
Yields 4 cupcakes

 Cupcakes:
  •  1/4 cup canola oil (2 oz butter at room temperature plus ½ tbsp veg oil))
  •  pinch of salt
  •  1/3 cup sugar
  •  1 large egg, at room temperature
  •  2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
  •  1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  •  1/4 teaspoon coconut emulsion
  •  1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
  •  1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  •  1/16 teaspoon baking soda (a pinch)
  •  1/2 cup SCANT unsweetened flaked coconut pulsed in food processor a few times. 


 Frosting:
  •  3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  •  2 tablespoons butter, softened
  •  1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut milk
  •  1/8 teaspoon coconut emulsion  (like vanilla extract, but coconut)
  •  ½ c powdered sugar (more or less to taste)
  •  1/4 cup unsweetened large flake coconut toasted for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350°. Place 4 cupcake liners along the outside edge of a muffin tin.

In a medium bowl, beat the oil, sugar and salt together with an electric mixer for at least 4 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy.

Add the egg, coconut milk, vanilla and coconut extracts and beat another 15 seconds.

Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda on top of the mixture and beat just until combined—do not overmix. Finally, stir in the flaked coconut.

Divide the batter between the cupcake liners (it will come almost to the top). Bake for 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, beat together all frosting ingredients (except coconut) and frost cupcakes.

Grab one for the road!!!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of pulsing the coconut before using. I always omit it because I don't like the flakes in my cupcakes. What is coconut emulsion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, if you can't find coconut 'emulsion' you could sub coconut extract instead.

    ReplyDelete

Share It